No prior computer experience is required. The course covers basic terminology, computer and Internet security, and an introduction of Microsoft Office 2007. This is a 7 week course. If attended 5 out of 7 weeks a Certification of Completion is given.
The goal of this class is to teach general, beginning skills for Windows PC’s and Microsoft Office. The covered topics include: Physical components of the computer, MS Windows Security, Antivirus and Antispam options, Internet security, Microsoft Windows navigation, basic Microsoft Office functions and features, and an introduction to Open Office, a free office suite.
Subjects Covered Include:
- Week 1 – Introduction. Proper use of the keyboard (hand positions, etc.) and mouse; Computer terminology.
- Week 2 – Computer and Internet security. Explanation of the main categories of viruses; Trojans, Worms, Bots, Spyware; Explanation of Phishing web sites, etc… Discuss security issues pertaining to public wireless connections. Discussions of options for free Anti-Virus programs; Windows Defender and Windows Firewall.
- Week 3 – How to properly save a new file. How to create a new folder and how to move files from one location to another; discussion of file extensions and the programs they relate to.
- Week 4 – Introduction of Microsoft Office and the Ribbon.
- Week 5 – Continuation of the Ribbon in Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Week 6 – Introduction to Open Office.
- Week 7 – Continuation of Open Office. Questions and Answers. Presentation of the Certifications.
For more information on this class or others, contact us today!